Monday, April 13, 2015

#18 - Holeman & Finch Public House (Gastropub)

In between our Cinema Club and the Atlanta Dogwood Festival, we decided to jump ahead and try #18 on our list; Holeman & Finch Public House, and experience The Burger.

Yes, it is called The Burger.

The description is as follows: The Burger cheese, onion, b&b pickles, fries. 

No frills. No fancy garlic aioli, truffle oil, or unpronounceable cheeses.  Just a basic, regular-ass, double-patty cheeseburger. AND PEOPLE LOSE THEIR MINDS OVER THIS BURGER.

Seriously.

As legend has it, Holeman & Finch Public House use to only make 24 burgers (and only after 10 PM) and once those sold out, that was it. Shortly before the riots ensued, they decided to start making The Burger widely available.  This was such a big freakin' deal that there is an article about this life-changing event. 

So, of course, we had to order The Burger... but, no pickles. Ew. 

The restaurant itself is shabby-chic/hipstery and offers private tables, bar seats, and a communal table.  The kitchen is smack-dab in the middle of the restaurant with one of the walls being made of glass, which I thought was pretty cool.  The bathrooms were rather difficult to find and were strange in that they were unmarked and behind heavy sliding doors... but I did appreciate the comical hook & hand washing sign for employees (think, Captain Hook washing his hands on a diagram).

As a gastropub, they also had an impressive selection of wine, beer, and spirits... including a LARGE selection of bitters, which I found to be quite odd.  But, enough about all that, let's get to the food!

Maybe it was the hype, but I assumed this was going to be the greatest cheeseburger I had ever shoved in my face hole... and I was, naturally, disappointed.  That being said, it's great for what it is... a regular-ass, double-patty cheeseburger... but I was left wanting something more. I wish they had used a different cheese or maybe some fresh onions as opposed to sauteed onions, or heck - maybe some of that fancy garlic aioli I mentioned earlier. SOMETHING. Maybe the b&b pickles would have kicked it up a notch, but I detest pickles on my food so that was definitely NOT happening.  

My meager palate still believes that The Vortex has the best burgers in Atlanta, but that's just my humble opinion. 

Aside from my meh experience with The Burger, the service was quick and efficient, the restaurant is beautiful, and I would recommend going there to try this big ol' greasy, hangover-killing, burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment